Need to see a doctor TODAY?
Same day clinics across the UK
Caring for you since 1998
Fully CQC registered clinics
Over 500,000 patients seen
No medical insurance? No problem
Walk in services
Friendly, professional staff
Call today, get seen TODAY.
SAME DAY CLINIC APPOINTMENTS
Nottingham 0115 9475498
Derby 01332 332530
Leicester 0116 2541282
Sheffield 0114 3583930
Leeds 0113 3448699
Watford 01923 606801
Your Wellbeing Is Our Business
Private, discrete home detoxification service
Regent Street Clinic offers a specific alcohol-related assessment aimed at identifying and helping those with problem drinking and alcohol dependancy.
Often people have realised that their alcohol intake has exceeded healthy limits and it is sometimes difficult to know where to turn.
Our clinics in Nottingham, Derby, Leicester, Sheffield, Leeds and Watford offer a range of interventions aimed at helping problem drinkers make a positive and long-lasting change towards leading a healthier life away from alcohol.
Our doctors are specially trained in primary care level interventions for excessive drinkers and offer a sympathetic, caring approach to tackling this issue robustly.
1. An appointment is made with a private doctor to undergo an alcohol screening assessment.
2. Blood tests are taken to check general physical health status including signs of liver damage and other health-related issues emanating from the excessive intake.
3. A brief intervention is undertaken for those felt to be below the threshold for heavy/severe alcohol intake or alcohol dependancy.
4. A home detoxification (detox) programme is initiated using a supervised medication programme (usually using chlordiazepoxide or librium) over a short period of time, typically one week.
5. The home detoxification is followed by CBT (cognitive and behavioural therapy) for candidates assessed as having a severe and harmful intake. Such clients must be deemded by the doctor as being suitable for a home detox.
These clients must also warrant to undertake the CBT maintenance therapy as a way of achieving long-lasting behavioural changes and a life of abstinence.
6. Consideration will be given for an in-patient stay at one of our private rehabilitation units across the country for those with alcohol dependancy who are not suitable for a home detoxification. Typically a stay will last between 2-4 weeks.
Home detoxification with the help of your private GP
Our GPs are happy to prescribe for a home detox from alcohol as long that it is agreed that there will be an abstinence based programme.
A common plan is as follows:
The doctor will prescribe a high dose of medication for the first day that you stop drinking alcohol. The medication most commonly prescribed is chlordizepoxide at a dose of 10-20mg four times per day.
You then gradually reduce the dose over the next 5-7 days. This usually prevents, or greatly reduces, the unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.
You must agree not to drink any alcohol when you are going through detox. A breathalyser may be used to confirm that you are not drinking.
The doctor will usually see you quite often during the time of detox, usually every other day.
Also during the detox, support from family and friends is absolutely crucial. Often the responsibility for getting the prescription and giving the detox medicine is shared with a family member or friend, for example, a partner or parent of the person going through the detox.
The CBT (cognitive and behavioural therapy) sessions that follow the medication detox is the most important part of the journey towards abstinence.
Having stopped drinking alcohol for the first 7-10 days, the next phase is to remain abstinent long-term and this is best managed by regular liaison with the private GP, family/friends and CBT therapist.
How the alcohol service works:
Home detoxification service
© Copyright 2017. Regentstreetclinic.co.uk. All rights reserved
A small step towards
Choosing a life without alcohol